After his estranged wife Kim Kardashian refused to cut ties with Balenciaga following their BDSM child images controversy, Kanye West has made a statement by covering up their logo with his own.
This came after the father-of-four criticized Hollywood celebrities for not speaking out against the Spanish high-fashion label.
After his estranged wife Kim Kardashian refused to cut ties with Balenciaga following their BDSM child images controversy, Kanye West has made a statement by covering up their logo with his own
The 45-year-old artist was seen out in Los Angeles on Sunday sporting a US flag jacket and pair of $1,100 Balenciaga rainboots with the branding covered by a sticker which read ‘YE24’
Fashion brand Balenciaga is suing the producers of an ad campaign that many believe translates to child pornography, with a child holding a teddy bear dressed in a BDSM outfit
He told TMZ on Friday: ‘This just shows you all celebrities are controlled. You don’t see no celebrities talking about the Balenciaga situation.
‘All of these celebrities out here, don’t let them influence you in any way, because they’re controlled by the people who really influence the world,” he added. “They’re not serving God’
Ye has been busy as on Sunday evening he was seen at dinner with fellow ex of Kim Kardashian Ray J, 41, and right-wing provocateur Milo Yiannopoulous at Giorgio Baldi in Pacific Palisades.
Speaking of Kanye’s 42-year-old ex Kim, she has come under fire for refusing to cut ties with the fashion house Balenciaga, despite a controversy that saw the company linked to a shoot that placed children alongside BDSM-themed items.
‘This just shows you all celebrities are controlled. You don’t see no celebrities talking about the Balenciaga situation’: This came after the father-of-four criticized Hollywood celebrities for not speaking out against the Spanish high-fashion label
The SKIMS mogul finally broke her silence on Sunday night, denouncing the brand, with whom she frequently collaborates and has essentially become the face of, noting how she was ‘shaken’ and ‘disgusted’ to see the images.
Kardashian, who has been in business with the company for several years spoke out days after the company had already apologized for the scandal. She is often seen wearing Balenciaga to major events and has featured in several of the brand’s campaigns in the past.
But on social media, users appeared skeptical of Kardashian’s statement which took days to prepare, with many suggesting that it was not sincere and that she was waiting and hoping for things to blow over. Many said that only a complete cutting of ties with the Spanish brand would now be appropriate.
She issued it last night, saying: ‘I have been quiet for the past few days, not because I haven’t been shocked and outraged by the recent Balenciaga campaigns, but because I wanted an opportunity to speak to their team to understand for myself how this could have happened. Kardashian said in a statement on her Instagram page.
The latest: His ex Kim Kardashian, 42, has issued a statement in the wake of a controversy involving the fashion house Balenciaga , who she’s been in business with for years, after the company was linked to a fashion shoot placing children alongside BDSM-themed items. Pictured earlier this month in LA
Kardashian continued: ‘As a mother of four, I have been shaken by those disturbing images. The safety of children must be held with the highest regard and anything against it should have no place in our society – period.’
She subsequently reissued the statement that saw some of the wording changed using stronger language adding: ‘any attempts to normalize child abuse of any kind should have no place in our society – period.’
However, on balance, Kardashian said that she is comfortable with how the company reacted to the scandal.
‘I appreciate Balenciaga’s removal of the campaigns and apology. In speaking with them, I believe they understand the seriousness of the issue and will take the necessary measures for this to never happen again.’
In an additional post, to both Instagram and Twitter, Kardashian said she was reconsidering her relationship with the fashion brand but had not yet many any firm decisions.
Kim initially issued a statement on her Instagram Stories account on Sunday night
She subsequently issued a second statement that changed some of the wording, noting that ‘any attempts to normalize child abuse of any kind should have no place in our society – period’
In an additional post, this time to both Twitter and Instagram, Kardashian said she was reconsidering her relationship with the fashion brand
‘As for my future with Balenciaga, I am currently re-evaluating my relationship with the brand, basing it off their willingness to accept accountability for something that should have never happened to begin with — & the actions I am expecting to see them take to protect children.’
The sincerity of Kim’s response was further questioned when images emerged of Kardashian staging an impromptu fashion shoot in skimpy hotpants not long before she put out her statement.
‘I don’t believe that you’re being sincere at all. I think you were just hoping that it would blow over. There’s no way that they paid for an ad campaign, didn’t look it over thoroughly before they put it out there. Seems like it’s more about money for you,’ wrote one fan.
‘You can’t be that outraged if you’re going to continue to model for them I applaud u for speaking up but the fact that this even happened speaks volumes and so publicly at that. Shame on Balenciaga and anyone who still supports them. Things like this don’t deserve a second chance,’ added another.
Kardashian posed for a new Balenciaga campaign in September, pictured above
‘Coming from a fan of you for many years this isn’t good enough. Now maybe you couldn’t of done anything then but you can now cut ties with Balenciaga at least! Ain’t no one forgetting this one there’s no excuse big enough to cover what everyone saw,’ echoed a third.
‘No. They were promoting child sexual abuse. How on EARTH can you say they ‘understand the severity’ and still work with them, especially as a mom?? This shows how sheltered you are. No concept of the impact this has on victims. Disgusting,’ responded one user.
Essentially the fashion face of the company, Kardashian is Balenciaga’s biggest supporter and the brand’s most famous model, appearing to walk on water in the fashion house’s fall 2022 campaign.
She was famously introduced to Balenciaga Creative Director Demna Gvasalia by Kanye with the couple’s daughters also sporting the brand, too, having recently been spotted carrying four-figure bags from the brand.
Fans had been flooding her social media pages over the weekend demanding Kardashian speak out
She acknowledged the role her ex-husband had played in the relationship in December 2021 as she spoke at the People’s Choice Awards where she accepted an award for fashion.
‘To Kanye, for really introducing me to the fashion world,’ she said. ‘I fell in love with fashion and I’m so inspired by so many people. But again, this is like a dream that I get to wake up and wear these amazing clothes and try new things and take a risk. I’m so humbled.’
Last month Kanye was dropped from a major business deal with Balenciaga as parent company Kering said the French fashion house would no longer be working on projects with him.
‘Balenciaga has no longer any relationship nor any plans for future projects related to this artist,’ Kering told WWD at the time.
On Twitter, users appeared skeptical of Kardashian’s statement with many suggesting only a complete the complete cutting of ties from the brand would be appropriate
North Six – a worldwide production company tailored to ads – is being sued by Balenciaga in a $25million lawsuit along with model photographer, Nicholas Des Jardins. Pictured: North Six’s company logo
Meanwhile Balenciaga issued a lengthy statement on Monday claiming it had no control over the props used in its Spring ’23 ad campaign where a printout of a SCOTUS ruling on child porn was photographed behind a handbag, after filing a notice that it planned to sue the production company responsible.
The fashion house from Spain is suing ad production company North Six Inc., as well as set designer Nicholas Des Jardins and his own brand for including images of legal documents on the US Supreme Court’s decision on child pornography laws in the ad campaign.
In an Instagram statement on Monday, Balenciaga once again doubled down on the claim that it had nothing to do with the SCOTUS ruling making it into the shot that ended up on its website.
‘All the items included in this shooting were provided by third parties that confirmed in writing these props were fake…they turned out to be real most likely coming from the filming of a television drama. The inclusion of these unapproved documents was the result of reckless negligence for which Balenciaga has filed a complaint,’ it said.
The statement went on: ‘We take full accountability for our lack of oversight and control of the documents in the background and we could have done things differently.’
Balenciaga deleted two shocking images showing two young girls holding a teddy bear in bondage style gear on the gift shop section of its website last week
One of the ad’s photos contained an excerpt from the US Supreme Court opinion in United States v. Williams, which upheld part of a federal child pornography law, which Twitter’s own fact-checkers confirmed
Italian photographer Gabriele Galimberti, who worked on the photoshoot featuring the BDSM teddy bears, stressed that he wasn’t ‘entitled in whatsoever manner to neither chose (sic) the products, nor the models, nor the combination of the same’
North Six did not produce the teddy bear ads, but it came into the frame with the SCOTUS printout after the teddy bear bag controversy erupted. Because both were produced independently, as different campaigns at different times of the year, many critics say they point to a disturbing pattern within the brand.
Balenciaga has apologized for the teddy bear ads and removed them from its site. It however is seeking to blame the SCOTUS printout on North Six and set producer Nicholas Des Jardins.
As a result of Defendants’ misconduct, members of the public, including the news media, have falsely and horrifically associated Balenciaga with the repulsive and deeply disturbing subject of the court decision,’ court documents reveal.
‘Defendants are liable to Balenciaga for all harm resulting from this false association.’
In an Instagram statement on Monday, Balenciaga once again doubled down on the claim that it had nothing to do with the SCOTUS ruling making it into the shot that ended up on its website
The lawsuit has not yet been filed. An attorney for the brand told DailyMail.com that they had no comment on the planned legal action.
The 2008 Supreme Court ruling United States v Williams examined if laws against the promotion of child pornography were in violation of the first amendment. It was seized on by critics last week after the controversial teddy bear ads sparked fury online.
The ruling determined that offering or requesting to transfer, sell, deliver, or trade child pornography did not violate the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, even if a person charged under the code did not in fact possess child pornography with which to trade.
The late Justice Antonin Scalia noted specifically that offers to engage in illegal transactions are categorically excluded from First Amendment protection.